Introduction: Supporting Association for Thematic and Holistic Initiatives popularly known as SATHI-UP. It is a network of grass root development organizations. The concept of SATHI was developed in 1992 but as a result of long hours of sharing and discussion, it was decided to form a platform with name of SATHI-UP. It is registered under Societies Registration Act 1860, to promote a state level participatory platform to the voices of rural community, panchayats and voluntary organizations by strengthening them for achieving Gram Swaraj. SATHI-UP currently has a membership of around 469 organizations of UP across 40 districts and it has given a name to its district level unit which is SATHI District Forum (SDF). These forums are from eastern, central and Bundelkhand regions of UP.
I. Key Thrust Behind Establishment
Key Thrust Behind Establishment: SATHI-UP believes that the voluntary organizations are a very big resource of the society for improving the quality of life of poor people and development particularly in a developing country like India .Therefore SATHI-UP intends to promote a culture of ‘Friendship-Dialogue and co-operation ‘ among the voluntary organizations at district level as well as state level. And SATHI –UP envisages as an outcome “the groups of credible and institutionally developed member organizations in order to contribute & foster the process of improving the quality of life of poor people and development at larger scale in UP.
II. SATHI’s Vision
SATHI envisions an inclusive and progressive society; where everyone is growing holistically and contributing to the multi-dimensional human development.
Improving the life situation of marginalized sections of society and enhancing capacity of civil society individuals as well as civil society organizations to catalyze the development actions in underdeveloped regions.
IV. SATHI’s Objective
· To promote the “friendship-dialogue and co-operation among Civil Society Organizations and various duty bearers for contributing towards Gram-Swarajya.
· To enlighten the image of Voluntary organization by the transparent and innovative role of voluntary sector in development.
· To develop the Rights Based Approach on the working of SATHI-UP member CSOs.
· To undertake advocacy on issues of concern at village, local self governance and government levels.
· To promote social harmony and national integration in the state.
· To strengthen the institutional capacity of grass-root level VOs in order to alleviate poverty and establish Gram Swarajya.
· To facilitate, & if necessary, co-ordinate training, research, documentation & publication on relevant issues.